Biological Sciences Research Technician 1
Job posting number: #7151668
Posted: June 2, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Summary
This recruitment will be used to fill one part-time (approximately 20 hours per week) Biological Sciences Research Technician 1 position for the College of Forestry, Forest Ecosystems and Society at Oregon State University (OSU).
This is a limited duration appointment expected to last approximately 6 months from the appointment begin date.
This position will provide short-term assistance with several research projects currently underway in the laboratory and greenhouse. Information about the research group can be found at http://people.forestry.oregonstate.edu/steve-strauss/home-page.
Working for Oregon State University is so much more than a job!
Oregon State University is a dynamic community of dreamers, doers, problem-solvers and change-makers. We don’t wait for challenges to present themselves — we seek them out and take them on. We welcome students, faculty and staff from every background and perspective into a community where everyone feels seen and heard. We have deep-rooted mindfulness for the natural world and all who depend on it, and together, we apply knowledge, tools and skills to build a better future for all.
• Top 1.4% university in the world
• More research funding than all public universities in Oregon combined
• 1 of 3 land, sea, space and sun grant universities in the U.S.
• 2 campuses, 11 colleges, 12 experiment stations, and Extension programs in all 36 counties
• 7 cultural resource centers that offer education, celebration and belonging for everyone
• 100+ undergraduate degree programs, 80+ graduate degrees plus hundreds of minor options and certificates
• 35k+ students including more than 2.3k international students and 10k students of color
• 217k+ alumni worldwide
• For more interesting facts about OSU visit: https://oregonstate.edu/about
Oregon State has a statewide presence with campuses in Corvallis and Bend, the OSU Portland Center and the Hatfield Marine Science Center on the Pacific Coast in Newport.
Oregon State’s beautiful, historic and state-of-the-art main campus is located in one of America’s best college towns. Corvallis is located close to the Pacific Ocean, the Cascade mountains and Oregon wine county. Nestled in the heart of the Willamette Valley, this beautiful city offers miles of mountain biking and hiking trails, a river perfect for boating or kayaking and an eclectic downtown featuring local cuisine, popular events and performances.
Total Rewards Package:
Oregon State University offers a comprehensive benefits package with benefits eligible positions that is designed to meet the needs of employees and their families including:
• Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life. OSU pays 95% of premiums for you and your eligible dependents.
• Retirement savings paid by the university.
• A generous paid leave package, including holidays, vacation and sick leave.
• Tuition reduction benefits for you or your qualifying dependents at OSU or the additional six Oregon Public Universities.
• Robust Work Life programs including Dual Career assistance resources, flexible work arrangements, a Family Resource Center, Affinity Groups and an Employee Assistance Program.
Future and current OSU employees can use the Benefits Calculator to learn more about the full value of the benefits provided at OSU.
60% – Conduct greenhouse work including potting/re-potting, trimming plants, moving plants, fertilizing plants, monitoring pests, watering, keeping the greenhouse clean, collecting data, and taking photos.
20% - Direct and train student employees as needed.
20% – Field work, including collecting flowers, pulling weeds, planting, measuring plants, collecting data, and data entry. Driving is required for field work responsibilities.
What We Require
Two years of college-level courses in (specific field of biological science); OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
What You Will Need
A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
This position requires driving a university vehicle or a personal vehicle on behalf of the university; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a motor vehicle history check, possess and maintain a current, valid driver’s license in their state of residence, be determined to be position qualified and self-report convictions as per University Policy 05-030.
What We Would Like You to Have
Previous experience in a forest biotechnology laboratory / greenhouse setting.
Prior greenhouse experience relating to regulation and containment of transgenic organisms and regulated material.
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
This position requires the ability to work in the laboratory, greenhouses, and outdoors in all weather conditions.
Some weekend work will be required for continuity of experiments.
This position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.