Research Associate- Neurological Diseases
La Jolla, CA
Job posting number: #7092589
Posted: January 20, 2022
Job DescriptionSanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Research Associate I will be working with researchers in the Chun Lab to assist research on neurological diseases, particularly neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Handling of both mouse and human brain tissues combined with use of new technologies as well as basic cell, molecular, and histological methods will be used by the Research Associate I to support research efforts.
• Conduct tissue culture and animal (mice) experiments as required by the project design.
• Use cellular and animal models to discover networks and pathways and to generate functional predictions and testable hypotheses.
• Take advantage of confocal microscopy to acquire large image collections and employ machine learning and custom-built pipelines to analyze the dataset.
• Performs experiments and procedures with high degree of complexity, demonstrating increasing expertise with a wide range of techniques.
• Write reports and manuscripts with increasing responsibility over time.
• Master’s degree in biological science required, cell or molecular biology preferred.
• 3 or more years prior lab experience.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
• Must be comfortable with procedures involving small animals.
• Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills with all team members.
• Possess strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, and Prism preferred.
• Quantitative skills and bioinformatics experience preferred.
• Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for emerging health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.