Senior Software Engineer
Job posting number: #7090417
Posted: December 9, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob-Specific Responsibilities
Development Technology is seeking a highly motivated Senior Software Engineer to join our Service Team. This role will focus on developing new applications, functionalities, and supporting existing applications, collaborating very closely with AAD staff members and cross-functional teams to deliver innovative, cost effective, and timely solutions.
Specific job duties include:
1) Performing full application development lifecycle including gathering initial requirements, functional analysis, design, development, testing, documentation, maintenance & support of applications and reports.
2) Utilize PLSQL stored procedures and functions within packages, triggers and libraries. May leverage Oracle AOP, Dynamic SQL, ref-cursors, bulk collection, explain plans, materialized views, shell scripting, and performance tuning.
3) Apply knowledge of Object Oriented Programming, API development and API Management.
4) Will contribute to the technical direction of development team and help set and improve best engineering practices.
6) Employ REST design principle for developing web services, etc.
7) troubleshoot critical production issues and attempt to provide solution with quick turnaround
8) Provide architectural guidance and leadership on best practices regarding software development, user interface design frameworks, high performance messaging solutions, server side development, integrations and tools and technologies.
9) Work with the business and systems team to identify the right architecture for implementing new solutions, products and modules.
10) Develop technology blue-prints for solutions, products and services.
11) Be hands on with development on more complex deliverables (as required).
12) Participate and/or monitors different technology industry standards groups to maintain strategic relations and represent HMS interests.
13) Support development and governance of technology and architecture best practices and the solutions for adoptions.
14) Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external clients and to mentor junior staff
15) Research and evaluate new technologies/tools/software products to determine feasibility and desirability of incorporating their capabilities in line with the technology strategy of the organization.
16) Proactively research, evaluate, and test emerging technologies and tools and present/document essential steps to integrate them into solutions/applications.
17) Support the systems and business teams for estimates, analysis, design, development, performance, scalability and benchmark test guidance and providing subject matter expertise in technology and design.
Typical Core Duties
Participate fully in software development life cycle
Research, design, and implement technical solutions to deliver business requirements
Identify opportunities to improve and simplify applications portfolio and implement related enhancements
Contribute to creation and maturing of software development best practices and new technologies
Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external clients and to mentor junior staff
Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
Minimum of five years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
• Experience designing interactive Oracle APEX applications
• Experience developing web applications using at least one popular web framework
• Experience with test-driven development
• Proficiency in software engineering tools
• Ability to document requirements and specifications
• Excellent knowledge of relational databases
• BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field
• Strong Interpersonal, facilitation, and consensus-building skills
• Excellent verbal, written, presentation communication skills
• Proven ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with all organizational staff levels
• Experience with higher education fundraising is a plus
• Strategic approach to problem solving as well as the ability to develop and communicate a sound plan
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to link product design and features to strategic objectives
• Experience with both agile and lean development methodologies
Certificates and Licenses
Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
Work is performed in an office setting
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.