Clinical Genomic Technologist III
Job posting number: #7074418 (Ref:JAX28190)
Posted: January 25, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Clinical Genomic Technologist III
With minimal oversight from the Manager of the Clinical Genomics Sequencing Laboratory, the Clinical Genomics Technologist will be responsible for processing both clinical and research samples using cutting-edge technologies for nucleic acid analysis, including but not limited to next-generation sequencing, Sanger sequencing, ddPCR and associated sample preparation technologies. These activities will be performed under CLIA/CAP regulations and will directly impact human health and thus must meet the highest possible standards for quality and integrity.
This role is responsible for the efficient and quality execution of sample accessioning, processing and data generation for the clinical genomics laboratory. This includes working with the manager to maintain all documentation required for operation under CLIA/CAP certification, including review and writing of SOPs as necessary and use of sample tracking systems in accordance with standard operating procedures.
• Timely completion of training assigned by management or CLD to meet the needs of laboratory operations
• Ensure sample accessioning is performed in an accurate manner to enable effective testing of samples downstream as ordered.
• Work with pathologist to evaluated neoplastic content of sample as needed
• Sample processing including nucleic acid purification and preparation for sequencing and PCR is performed per established processes
• Accurate and timely maintenance of operational metrics
• Maintains and updates associated process documentation, participates in continuous process improvements and ongoing training
• Performs quality control of samples processed and data generated prior to sending to next steps.
• Maintenance of auxiliary and capital equipment and instrumentation
This role is also responsible for the development and validation of new methodologies, including establishing novel workflows, evaluating new instrumentation and protocols as deemed necessary by the clinical laboratory manager and/or director
• Makes technological/scientific contributions to development projects
• Research, evaluate, and implement new and emerging applications and tools to improve current clinical offerings and to support new clinical offerings. This will involve working closely and coordinating with regulatory, computational sciences, IT, and management groups in accordance with established professional development goals
• Education and Experience Requirements – Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in biological or chemical sciences with experience in a regulated laboratory environment (CLIA/CAP), and ASCP Certification in Molecular Biology
• Required Experience in product/clinical/research assay development
• Clinical Genomics Technologist I – 0-1 year
• Clinical Genomics Technologist II – 1-3 years
• Clinical Genomics Technologist III – >3years
• Well organized, with strong attention to detail and process is required.
• Ability to learn new tasks and procedures in appropriate timeframes
• Experience in data management, including laboratory information management systems
• Excellent written and verbal skills as would be required to communicate scientific details and respond to custom inquiries.